Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Il cibo italiano...finalmente!

Growing up I loved the book Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.  The concept of being able to feel emotions through food sounded so appealing to me. I never realized that the experience that I had in Italy was exactly that. Maybe it was learning a new food and a language with it, or maybe it was being able to cook for someone I loved but whenever I ate in Italy, it reminded me of that book, and feeling those emotions through the cooking.

Of course, life can't always be like that and I've definitely put cooking on the back burner since I've been home. So much so that I've completely stopped all together. It's been a process for me to open myself back up to Italian cusine, so many memories and experiences made those emotions... well...challenging to say the least. Needless to say, I've been slowly venturing back into the world of Italian cuisine. Creating new memories and sharing those experiences with the people that matter most to me, and everyone reading my blog!

One of the most memorable meals I had was out on the balcony of a dear cousin (not mine personally but family all the same). My sister, myself and our friend Whitney had just flown back to Bologna after spending a week in London and Paris. Guillermo and his girlfriend Fabiana cooked all of us dinner immediately after our return to Bologna. Fabiana made the most amazing salad that I'm sharing with you today. We spent the hot summer night out on their balcony overlooking the railroad tracks of Bologna Centrale, speaking Itanglish, drinking wine and giving Nicole and Whitney a truly authentic Italian experience. None of them had ever met before, but it seemed like all were long lost family regardless of any language barriers. These are some of the memories that I will forever treasure in my heart.

The salad is simple, and really that's what's so beautiful about it. All you need is: Arugala (Rucola); Sea Salt (sale del mare); Parmeggiano Cheese (no translation needed there) and Olive Oil (olio d'oliva) e basta!


buon appetito!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails